2010 homicide updates
2010 Homicide updates:
Of 22 homicides in 2010 [5 unsolved, one tallied without charges being laid], the following cases have progressed to the Court of Queen’s bench — excepting those where youth are involved (1) as those records are not publicly accessible.
From this, six of 16 cases have advanced to the higher court.
- Feb. 11, 2011 — Mario Valdez is denied bail after a QB review of his detention in connection to the April 27, 2010 death of Catherine Gastador. A preliminary inquiry is ongoing, but he has not yet been ordered to stand trial.
- May 4, 2011: Jeremy Bothelo indicted in QB after a prelim in connection to the April 15, 2010 death of Kelly Clay. Botelho is free on bail and a $2,000 surety. He has elected a jury trial set for May 22-15 June, 2012.
- June 15, 2011: Darren James Hall, indicted in QB after a prelim in connection to the death of Garth Isfeld, March 27, 2010. Hall has elected to have a trial by judge and jury.
- June 24, 2011: Nick Somers is indicted to stand trial in connection to the death of Gary Rent outside Bar Italia on July 28, 2010 after a preliminary inquiry. He remains free on $5,000 bail with conditions including to not be in the presence of members of the Hells Angels or puppet club Zig Zag Crew. Somers has elected to be tried by judge and jury.
- July 11, 2011: Five accused in connection to the April 18, 2010 home invasion death of Ricky Lathlin are direct indicted into QB. All five remain in custody. Another has claimed he can’t be held accountable under Canadian laws due to his aboriginal heritage.
- Aug. 8, 2011: Mary Ellen Thomas is indicted to stand trial for the death of Mike Allen at his Lord Roberts home on July 31, 2010. Thomas remains in custody and has elected to stand trial by judge and jury.